Saturday

Religion and Holidays

Because of the Christian circle the family were part of, our friends were those of the same persuasion. We did not need radio or television, and chapel attendance was intensive – every weekday evening, Saturday mornings and several times on a Sunday. We never attended all of them but we were expected to do our best. This withdrawal from the outside world and frequent chapel meetings seems odd now, but to me it was normal. Holidays were rather private, we would rent a cottage or a caravan, and attend the local chapel meetings. The journey from Essex to the South West took two days in my father’s old Hillman Minx. I distinctly remember the elephant made of concrete pipes that stood by the A30 in Camberley – it in fact it is still there, although now dwarfed by a large warehouse. The Christian beliefs, high moral standards, ethics, and consideration for others has given me a frame of reference that will stay with me for the rest of my life. When I was thirteen, that particular Christian community became more restrictive than we thought was right, and we left. We bought a television and I went to the cinema for the first time – but I’m getting ahead of myself. There’s more to say about my childhood.



1 comment:

Mokey said...

Hi Neville - I love that Elephant on the A30, I even managed to climb it one night after a few too many beers!